MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., June 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Refurbishment activity will take place Saturday, June 23, 2012 from 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. at Lee Mathson Middle School, San Jose, California
- Opening ceremony speakers (9:35-10:00 a.m.)
- Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren, California's 16th District
- Mayor Chuck Reed, City of San Jose
- Dr. Chi-Foon Chan, Synopsys President and co-CEO
- Jacqueline Montejano, Lee Mathson Middle School Principal
- The day's projects will include repainting buildings, building benches and planter boxes, weeding, planting, mural painting and more
Synopsys, Inc. (Nasdaq: SNPS), a world leader in software and IP used in the design, verification and manufacture of electronic components and systems, today announced that it will celebrate its 25th year in business by helping transform the physical environment at Lee Mathson Middle School in the Alum Rock School District in San Jose, California. During the one-day event on June 23, 2012, approximately 500 volunteers will paint, garden, and do repair work to refurbish the school for the benefit of its students and the surrounding community. The Care Force division of City Year, a nonprofit service organization, is helping organize and manage the activity.
The volunteer event is a way for Synopsys to contribute to and thank the community that has hosted the company for over two decades. This special event complements its regular charitable giving and volunteer activities, which are an integral part of the company's culture.
"This event is particularly exciting for us because it's a real collaborative approach — a joint effort," said Brian Cabrera, general counsel and vice president, legal and corporate affairs, Synopsys. "Our employees, their family members, the Lee Mathson community and City Year will channel our collective energy and make a real and visible difference for Lee Mathson students in just one day."
Lee Mathson was chosen for the renovation project because it's an underserved school with 100 percent of its 650 students receiving free or reduced lunch. To help the at-risk student population, the school's faculty leverages all available resources. They've employed prescriptive teaching methods to meet the needs of students and have enlisted the support of City Year San Jose/Silicon Valley to help fill the education gap. For the past three years, City Year has provided young adult volunteers for "near-peer" support to the children of Lee Mathson, helping to improve student attendance, behavior and academic performance.
"Our students have great potential and show real promise; we want them to know how valued they are," said Jacqueline Montejano, principal, Lee Mathson Middle School. "The Synopsys renovation project will really send the message that they matter. I can't wait to see their expressions when they come back in the fall to a sparkling and beautiful place to learn."
- Lee Mathson Middle School address: 2050 Kammerer Ave., San Jose, CA 95116
- Learn more about Synopsys' 25th anniversary volunteer activity: http://bit.ly/Lku0wg
- Follow Synopsys community relations on Twitter: http://twitter.com/synopsysshares
- Day of contacts:
- Yvette Huygen, director worldwide public relations, Synopsys: 650-533-9838
- Monica Marmie, public relations senior manager, Synopsys: 408-836-3728
Synopsys, Inc. (Nasdaq:SNPS) is a world leader in electronic design automation (EDA), supplying the global electronics market with the software, intellectual property (IP) and services used in semiconductor design, verification and manufacturing. Synopsys' comprehensive, integrated portfolio of implementation, verification, IP, manufacturing and field-programmable gate array (FPGA) solutions helps address the key challenges designers and manufacturers face today, such as power and yield management, system-to-silicon verification and time-to-results. These technology-leading solutions help give Synopsys customers a competitive edge in bringing the best products to market quickly while reducing costs and schedule risk. Synopsys is headquartered in Mountain View, California, and has approximately 70 offices located throughout North America, Europe, Japan, Asia and India. Visit Synopsys online at http://www.synopsys.com/.